Tuesday, August 4, 2009

PowerPoint Thoughts

Because I am a first-generation, digital native, I am very familar with PowerPoint and computer based presentations. I actually learned a lot from my classmates presentations. I think Katie 's use of images to get us to learn new Spanish words was very helpful. Also, Thomas's use of personal photographs to talk about an ancient culture gave me a more personal connection to the subject matter.

In some of the PowerPoints the amount of text was rediculous. One thing to be aware of is how much the teacher is relying on the PowerPoint as notes for the presentation, instead of working from a notecard or notes not on the actual PowerPoint. I know I struggle with this, especially infront of people my age, and the nerves for me are significantly less when talking infront of a group of younger students--its definatly easier to look at the PowerPoint slides then look a the sea of faces expecting you to teach them something.

In most situations PowerPoint is a useful tool to teach, introduce, or lecture on a new subject. I also like the way Joe Mannion uses slides to put up class directions during small group or individual work time...its very helpful to be able to look up and see exactly what I am supposed to be doing (even adults don't pay attention all the time). At the same time, PowerPoints can be dry, or uninteresting and the best way to get others excited about the subject is to engage them in an activity, which PowerPoint does not do very well. If I keep this fault in mind and don't create my class around PowerPoints all the time, the digital presentation of infromation is very helpful...and our students can make their own presentations too!

No comments:

Post a Comment