Monday, July 20, 2009

Wikipedia and Online Sources

For me, Wikipedia is not the first place I will go. I will often talk to the people I know, who may have sources on that topic. Then, I usually try a google search and follow a few threads that come about. I like the use of book sources and find that an argument only supported by online research is not sufficient. Also, I think that the use of multiple resources is very important, not only to insure a more accurate argument, but also to give the researcher a broader scope.

As a teacher I will accept Wikipedia as a quotable source within in a research document. I believe that, like many of the article we have already read, that we need to meet our students where they are, speaking a language they already know, which means learning, using, and supporting a technology based instruction. I think this article shows that Wikipedia is a an acceptable starting point for online research. I also believe that students need to understand who they are siting and if that information is biased or reliable, Wikipedia is a great place to start and explore the validity of a source. Doug Johnson, in his article on Wikipedia, puts it this way: "As students use research to solve problems about controversial social and ethical issues, the ability to evaluate and defend one’s choice of information source becomes as important as finding an answer to the research itself. As the Internet (and especially Web 2.0) allows a cacophony of voices to rise, expressing an increasing range of views, a conclusion without defensible sources in its support will not be of value."

It is awesome to see the development of our culture into one that values the everyday 'lay' persons knowledge and understanding. I think that internet research is a key component to getting up-to-date information on a range of topics. Wikipedia specifically offers current info on thousands of topics, some that aren't even included in traditional sources. To exclude internet sources would be exclude the culture our students are living in, and to ignore the advancement of our technological society. I believe that there should be a balance between multiple sources and a student should understand how to decide a reliable source from an unreliable source.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your position on Wikipedia. I would also allow my students to use it, but I would also want them to cite other sources. My favorite thing in this blog was "meet students where they are" this is so true. Great post.

    ReplyDelete